Matteson home invasion suspect captured after shooting himself during nearly 12-hour standoff

A fugitive accused of shooting three people in a home invasion in south suburban Matteson earlier this month shot himself Friday morning, authorities said, ending a 12-hour standoff on the South Side involving FBI agents and Chicago and Matteson police officers.

The target of a nationwide manhunt, Lander Coleman, 43, survived the wound he inflicted on himself during the SWAT situation in the Roseland neighborhood, according to law enforcement sources and Chicago Fire Department spokesperson Larry Langford.

Coleman is the suspect in the shooting of a woman and two children during a May 18 home invasion in Matteson.

On Friday, he suffered a “relatively minor” gunshot wound at the end of the stand-off in the 9600 block of South Perry, according Langford, who said he was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center where his condition had stabilized.

There is no ongoing threat to the community, officials said.

The situation began late Thursday night when FBI agents based in Chicago were assisting Chicago and Matteson police in locating Coleman, a statement from the FBI said.

Matteson police had asked for help from the FBI out of a fear that Coleman might be trying to leave the Chicago area, according to a law enforcement source.

Then, shortly before midnight, the suspect became aware of law enforcement presence, displayed a weapon, and refused to comply with instructions, the statement said.

Roger Rawls, 68, was outside his home Thursday morning when he heard a single shot.

“I just see [authorities] start running toward the house,” Rawls, who has lived on the block for about 15 years, told the Chicago Sun-Times.

By about 11 a.m. Chicago police allowed traffic back through after road closures were put in place in the 9600 block of South Lafayette Avenue.

SWAT officers in camouflage uniforms began clearing the scene about 11:30 a.m., though crime scene tape remained up at the intersection of 96th Street and Perry Avenue, where a pair of blue jeans and a yellow sweatshirt lay.

Tony Jackson, 65, has lived in the area for more than a decade and was on his way to get breakfast with his wife when he noticed the large police presence Friday morning.

“Wake up every morning and it’s the same thing,” Jackson said as he looked on. “I’m just sick of all the violence in the city. As it gets hotter and hotter, it gets worse and worse.”

Source link

Leave a Comment