Winnipeg fire crews extinguish Jubilee Avenue housefire, issue safety reminder – Winnipeg

Everyone’s alright after a housefire on Jubilee Avenue in Winnipeg.

Just after noon on Friday, a Canada Post employee working in the area called 9-1-1 to report the blaze, authorities said.

When crews arrived, Winnipeg Fire and Paramedic Service (WFPS) said smoke was coming from a single-family home.

Firefighters went inside and subdued the fire, declaring it under control just after 12:30 p.m., WFPS said.

Crews said it looks like the flames were accidental, caused by “smoking materials” that weren’t properly discarded.

WFPS asked residents to keep in mind a few safety tips when trying to get rid of something that’s smoking:

  • Always put a cigarette out in a proper ashtray or deep metal container.
  • Butts should never be thrown from balconies, decks, car windows, or near anything like grass, leaves or brush.
  • Never use a plant pot as an ashtray. Potting soil is a mix of dirt and a number of combustible organic materials. For example, peat moss, shredded wood and minerals.

Click to play video: 'Three residents displaced by house fire in Winnipeg’s Daniel McIntyre area'

Three residents displaced by house fire in Winnipeg’s Daniel McIntyre area

&copy 2023 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Source link

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *