NYPD: Another teen charged in fatal Bronx subway shooting


The NYPD made another arrest Thursday in last month’s Mount Eden subway shooting that left five people injured and one person dead, police said.

Police said a 14-year-old boy, who was already in custody, was charged in the March 12 shooting that broke as part of a dispute between teens in the Bronx neighborhood.

The incident erupted aboard a 4 train as it reached the Mount Eden Avenue station shortly before 5 p.m. that Monday. Police said two groups of teenagers were riding the northbound train when a dispute escalated and two people started firing guns on the platform. Another 14-year-old boy was the apparent target of the shooting.

Obed Beltran-Sanchez, 35, was shot and killed during the fracas, according to the NYPD. Five others were treated for their injuries.

Police said Friday they were questioning the 14-year-old in regard to another, non-fatal shooting and discovered he was among those wanted in the Mount Eden case.

The teen, whose name was not released, was charged Thursday with murder, four counts of attempted murder, and criminal possession of a weapon.

The incident was among several high-profile subway shootings that prompted Gov. Kathy Hochul to send hundreds of National Guard troops into subway stations though Gothamist did not observe any at the Mount Eden station on a recent visit.

The arrest Thursday came amid another subway shooting in Brooklyn during the height of rush hour.



Source link

Leave a Comment